If there is not an electric meter on your property, please follow these steps to get your service started with either overhead or underground lines.

Steps to Establishing New Services With No Existing Meter

  1. Visit a WKRECC office to complete your service/membership application and pay any required membership fees or deposits.
  2. A staking engineer will visit your location and draw plans for your new service.
  3. Pay any applicable line construction fees and confirm proof of completed electrical inspection.
  4. WKRECC will notify other utilities that may be present in construction area so that any underground infrastructure will not be damaged.
  5. Any necessary tree trimming and cutting will take place to prepare for construction.
  6. Construction and connection of your new service will take place.

Construction Process Details

Complete a membership application. Service/Membership applications must be completed even if you are already a WKRECC member at another location. Applications are available at WKRECC business offices, or click the Membership Application to complete an online application. Applicants must provide a photo ID, the service address, and detailed directions to the property.

Online Membership Application

A membership fee is due with submittal of the service/membership application. Membership fees may be waived if you have a current WKRECC membership at another meter in the same name. Deposits may be required on residential properties based on the members’ credit rating. On commercial properties, the required deposit is equal to two months of estimated usage.

A WKRECC staking engineer will visit your property to draw plans for the new service. Member Services will work with you to schedule this appointment. During the engineer’s visit, he/she will draw plans for your service, examine right-of-way clearance issues and determine locations for poles and meters. Depending upon type and size of service requested, a completed Load Data Sheet may be required.

If you would like to install an outdoor security light at the time of service connection, please discuss this with the engineer when they visit your property. Click here for further details about outdoor security light installation. 

Once the engineer has visited the property and drawn plans for your new service, applicable fees will be assessed for services based on the policies listed below. An invoice for all applicable fees will be mailed to you and payment must be made before work can proceed. In addition to applicable fees, non-residential applicants may be required to sign a minimum bill contract, which must be completed before work can proceed. For details, see Policy Number 320: General Power Line Extensions.

For service to all non-residential facilities, an explanation of fees is found in Policy Number 320: General Power Line Extensions.

Policy 320

For residential services to site-built homes, an explanation of fees is found in Policy Number 310: Residential Line Extension.

Policy 310

Most site built homes require a temporary service pole used to provide power during construction. Specifications for temporary service poles are available here. 

Temporary Service Pole Diagram

For residential services to mobile homes, an explanation of fees is found in Policy Number 315: Mobile Home Line Extensions.

Policy 315

For specifications for mobile home meter poles, click the link below. 

Mobile Home Service

Some member accounts are specified as seasonal load accounts, meaning that they do not use power year-round (weekend cabins, irrigation wells, grain bins, recreational vehicles). Such loads are subject to aid-to-construction costs, which are collected before the service is constructed. For details, see Policy Number 320: General Power Line Extensions.

Policy 320

Fees associated with any right-of-way line clearance (tree trimming and cutting) can be found in Policy Number 375: Right-of-Way Clearing and Maintenance. 

Policy 375

Once fee payment has been made, the cooperative will begin preparing to construct your electrical infrastructure. WKRECC will work with 8-1-1 to have all underground utilities marked prior to installing your electrical service.

It is required by law that all applicable electrical inspections be completed. Electrical inspections must be contracted by the member.

A list of state certified electrical inspectors in our service area can be found in the FAQ.

Construction and connection of your service will be completed as quickly and efficiently as possible. Many factors can affect the length of your construction and connection, including season, weather and workload. On average, your service can be completed and connected within 2-3 weeks of initial contact IF fees are paid and inspections are performed in a timely manner.

Schedule of Fees

Frequently Asked Questions

West Kentucky RECC requires that you have an electrical inspection of your new electrical wiring prior to activating service. The inspection must be scheduled by the homeowner. Area electrical inspectors are:

David Waggoner
Graves and Calloway Counties
270-519-0289 or 270-247-4849

Joel Crider
Graves and Calloway Counties
270-727-0770 or 270-247-6914

Larry "Cat" Spears
Marshall County
270-703-0791 or 270-527-8776

Alan Wilson
Carlisle and Hickman Counties

Click below to see a basic diagram for temporary service poles. For more information, please call or visit the Member Services Department in our Mayfield office.

Temporary Service Pole Diagram

Kentucky has adopted the 2014 edition of the National Electric Code. To order a copy of that handbook, please contact the National Fire Protection Association. If you have questions during your project, please call our Member Services Department or your local electrical inspector.