If there is not an electric meter on your property, please follow these steps to get your service started with either overhead or underground lines.

Steps to Establishing New Services at locations with No Existing Meter

  1. Complete the online service application or visit a WKRECC office to complete your service/membership application and pay any required membership fees or deposits.
  2. A staking engineer will visit your location and draw plans for your new service.
  3. Pay any applicable line construction fees and confirm proof of completed electrical inspection.
  4. WKRECC will notify other utilities that may be present in construction area so that any underground infrastructure will not be damaged.
  5. Any necessary tree trimming and cutting will take place to prepare for construction.
  6. Construction and connection of your new service will take place.

Construction Process Details

A WKRECC staking engineer will visit your property to draw plans for the new service. Member Services will work with you to schedule this appointment. During the engineer’s visit, he/she will draw plans for your service, examine right-of-way clearance issues and determine locations for poles and meters. Depending upon type and size of service requested, a completed Load Data Sheet may be required.

If you would like to install an outdoor security light at the time of service connection, please discuss this with the engineer when they visit your property. Click here for further details about outdoor security light installation. 

Once the engineer has visited the property and drawn plans for your new service, applicable fees will be assessed, based on the policies listed below. An invoice for all applicable fees will be mailed/emailed to you and payment must be made before work can proceed. In addition to applicable fees, non-residential applicants may be required to sign a minimum bill contract, which must be completed before work can proceed. For details, see Policy Number 320: General Power Line Extensions.

For service to all non-residential facilities, an explanation of fees is found in Policy Number 320: General Power Line Extensions.

Policy 320

For residential services to site-built homes, an explanation of fees is found in Policy Number 310: Residential Line Extension.

Policy 310

Most site built homes require a temporary service pole used to provide power during construction. Specifications for temporary service poles are available here. 

New Service

For residential services to mobile homes, an explanation of fees is found in Policy Number 315: Mobile Home Line Extensions.

Policy 315

For specifications for mobile home meter poles, click HERE. 

Mobile Home Service

Some member accounts are specified as seasonal load accounts, meaning that they do not use power year-round (weekend cabins, irrigation wells, grain bins, recreational vehicles). Such loads are subject to aid-to-construction costs, which are collected before the service is constructed. For details, see Policy Number 320: General Power Line Extensions.

Policy 320

Fees associated with any right-of-way line clearance (tree trimming and cutting) can be found in Policy Number 375: Right-of-Way Clearing and Maintenance. 

Policy 375

Once fee payment has been made, the cooperative will begin preparing to construct your electrical infrastructure. WKRECC will work with 8-1-1 to have all underground utilities marked prior to installing your electrical service.

It is required by law that all applicable electrical inspections be completed. Electrical inspections must be contracted by the member.

A list of state certified electrical inspectors in our service area can be found in the FAQ .

Construction and connection of your service will be completed as quickly and efficiently as possible. Many factors can affect the length of your construction and connection, including season, weather and workload. On average, your service can be completed and connected within 2-3 weeks of initial contact IF fees are paid and inspections are performed in a timely manner.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I need to have my electrical work inspected?

I am putting in a new mobile home....can I put the meter pole next to the home?

I need a temporary service for construction......is there a guide for a temporary service pole?

What electrical code should I use if I am wiring my home or business?